Sunday, December 11, 2011

Under Construction Snowman

The local Construction company had their Christmas Party last night & I got to make their cake.  She wanted a whimsical Christmas scene that also involved construction.  So I made a giant snowman that the construction workers were building.  Cute idea right?  I was so excited to make it even though I had no idea where to even begin.  I seem to have this problem of coming up with all these grand ideas and then being a complete stress ball for a week trying to make it happen. Some times I forget I'm not a professional cake maker.  I had a lot of problems with this cake but in the end I was actually happy with the result.
Now I'm gonna post a pic of the finished result, but I have to admit I made a total rookie mistake, that I know better then to do, but for some reason I completely forgot to put proper support under the head, let's just blame that on prego-brain.  So the next day the body started to sag and bulge from the weight, which makes the fondant to tear (easy enough to hide with decorations), but also to change the shape.  But I thought ah well, snowmen aren't perfect ball shapes anyways.  I also have to say that it looked better in person, the camera just accentuated all the flaws.  Okay disclaimers over.....
In case your thinking 'what is she talking about, that snowman is perfectly cute'.  Let me just post a pic of it when it was a work in progress.

See what I mean?  Still, I love the idea, and all problems aside, I love this cake.  I think the little workers carrying the chocolate arm is one of my favorite parts, and the rosy cheeks.
  MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment