Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hot Buttered Rum Frosting

I had a stroke of genius last night and of course it involved buttercream.  I tested the recipe this morning and with just a bit of tweaking, it came out awesome!
I started with my Italian Buttercream recipe, which is basically adding a simple syrup to a meringue, then adding butter to it all.  This time I used a brown sugar instead of white, and spiced the butter with plenty of cinnamon, nutmeg, crushed cloves, and a bit of salt.  At the end I added vanilla bean paste and rum extract.  I'd use the real thing except my liquor supplies are pretty low these days. 

2 cups brown sugar
1/3 cup water

1 tea cream of tartar
5 egg whites

3 cups butter, mixed with:
6 tea cinnamon
3 tea nutmeg
1 1/2 tea crushed cloves
1 1/2 tea salt

1 tbl vanilla bean paste
rum or rum extract to taste (I used about 1 tbl)

No comments:

Post a Comment