Sunday, July 17, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad!

My parents are visiting from California right now (yay!), it was very recently my Dad's birthday so I wanted to surprise him with a cake when he got here.  I wanted to make him a ice cream sundae cake incorporating his favorite ice cream; mint chocolate chip.  I only had a short time to figure this cake out, and no time to order any special pans or supplies, so I had to use what I had on hand.  While my boyfriend might think I have too many baking supplies, this is soooooo not true, because if I had the right pans my cake would have been more proportional and turned out better.  C'est la vie.  

I wanted the bottom to look like a waffle cone, but it ended up looking like a giant egg on top of a saggy bowl :)

I will try this design another time, I think it's a cute idea, but really what I'm getting to is the cake, I was really happy with how the actual cake turned out!



The bottom layer is my Awesome Chocolate Cake recipe, which was of course super moist and awesome.  Then I made a mint chocolate chip layer. 

I started with a boxed white mix
added oil, water
1 tea mint extract
1 drop green food coloring
fold in egg whites that have been whipped until fluffy
fold in mini chocolate chips that have been coated in flour
It smelled & tasted just like mint chocolate chip ice cream!

I also made a chocolate and mint chocolate chip buttercream

For the mint I used:
butter
cream
powdered sugar
vanilla bean paste
mint extract
green food coloring
mini chocolate chips

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD LOVE YA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment