Saturday, July 2, 2011

Flavored Sugars

I just bought this new book that I'm now head over heals in love with; 'Booze Cakes' by Krystina Castella & Terry Lee Stone.  They combine 2 of my most favorite thing, can you guess what they are, ah ya, they are booze, and cake (I know it was a bit tricky to guess).

Not only are there awesome desserts, I have a feeling this blog might turn a bit into a boozy cake blog, but they also tell you how to make liqueur from home, cream puffs, marshmallow cream, even your own lady fingers (!), where were you 2 weeks ago when I wanted to make tiramisu?  (Although, I'm sticken to my pledge that Milano cookies are a fabulous substitution)

I have big plans with this book in the next few weeks, but for now I'm starting with making my own flavored sugars, so simple, why haven't I done this already?



Flavored Sugar:
2 cups confectioners', super fine, or granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, cleaned & dried

Vanilla: Put sugar in an airtight container, burying the vanilla bean inside.  Seal the container and store in a cool place at least one week.  It will stay fresh for up to 3 months.

Lemon: Replace vanilla with zest of 3 lemons.  (Hmm, vanilla/lemon might be really good)

Orange: Replace vanilla with zest of 2 oranges

Herbal: Replace vanilla with 1/4 cup dried herbs, such as whole cloves, cinnamon sticks, or star anise

Lavender: Replace vanilla with 1/2 cup dried lavender buds

No comments:

Post a Comment