Monday, July 4, 2011

As American As Cherry Pie!

I couldn't let a holiday go by with out baking something, but I was short on time and hadn't found anything new or exciting to inspire me, then I remembered Cherry Pie Cupcakes.  I had always wanted to make these they are so cute and incredibly simple. 

I used a box mix of yellow cake to save time (replacing the water with buttermilk to make a moister cake), I made a cream cheese buttercream:
1 box cream cheese
1 stick of butter
1-2 tea lemon
1 tea heavy cream
1 tea vanilla bean paste
1-2 cups powdered sugar
All measurements are approximate.  When I make my buttercream I start by:
Creaming my butter &/or cream cheese. 
When that has become smooth I add my liquid; cream/coffee/liqueur/lemon juice, etc
Then I add powdered sugar, about 1/4 cup at a time so not to over sweeten.
Stop, scrape down sides, taste test.  Add more sugar/liquid/butter/cream cheese as needed. 
Blend, stop, scrape, taste as many times a needed until it is right.

For the cherry pie topping, I just used a can of cherry pie filling, so simple!

I cut the tops of the cupcake off so that the cherry pie filling would not fall down the sides.
Put thin layer of frosting on top of cupcake
Piped standerd boarder to hold in filling and give 'crust' apperence
Topped with cherry pie filling
Piped a basket weave on every other one

The result; the cutest cherry pie cupcakes that tasted like a cherry creamcheese cake, yumm!

I was trying to finish these quickly so that I could play bubbles outside with my son, so I only made 4.  With the leftover frosting, I quickly smeared it on the rest of the cupcakes.  I'm usually a fan of the piped frosting on cupcakes, but there's something to so yummy looking about a messy cupcake don't ya think?



Happy Fourth Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment