Sunday, May 30, 2010

Kid Birthday Cake

I got my second cake order (!) for a children's birthday.  Two boys one turning 13 the other 1.  The only specifications were that it was a rectangle cake, bright colors and that she liked a cake I did a while back that was decorated with many circles. 
Okay, no problem.  This one was actually a lot of fun to make, and I had zero melt downs and no major disasters.
I made a 4 layer chocolate and vanilla cake, using the best yellow cake recipe ever, and chocolate and vanilla buttercream.  This could be boring but the cake was super moist and delicious and the vanilla frosting is my favorite, I could just eat the whole bowl with a spoon, mmmmmm. I'll post the recipes for the yellow and vanilla frosting 'cause they are my favorite and you'll never need to find another.  I have yet to find my favorite chocolate recipe, if you have a great one I'd love to try it. 
Getting a square cake is a bit harder to level and make the edges strait and clean.  I chilled it for a while before attempting to cut it, and of course had my boyfriend help me.  I still need a lot of practice, but it came out all right for my first try.

YELLOW CAKE
2 1/2 cups cake flour
2 tea baking powder
1/2 tea salt
8 oz unsalted butter, room temp
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
3 large egg yolks
1 cup whole milk
2 tea pure vanilla extract


  • Center rack in middle of oven and preheat to 350 degrees

  • Coat two 9" rounds or three 8" rounds, or one large rectangle pan with butter or shortning then flour and tap out extra.

  • Have all ingredients at room temp

  • Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

  • Using stand mixer with paddle attachment beat butter at medium speed until light, smooth, and creamy, about 45 seconds.

  • Add sugar in steady stream, then stop mixing and scrape sides of bowl.

  • Continue to beat on medium speed until very light in color about 4-5 minutes. Scrape sides occasionally

  • Medium speed: add the beaten whole eggs 3-4 tablespoons at a time beating after each addition until incorporated.  Scrape sides occasionally.

  • Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each until incorporated.  This should take about 3-4 minutes and batter should be fluffy and have increased in volume.

  • On lowest speed, add flour mixture in 4 additions, alternating with the milk in 3 additions, beginning and ending with flour.  Beating well after each addition until incorporated.  Scrape sides often. 

  • Add vanilla during last moments or mixing.

  • Spread batter evenly between pans, spreading the batter from the center outward, creating a slightly raised edge around the outside rim.

  • bake until tops spring back when lightly touched and edges start to come away from the edges of the pan. 35-40 min

  • cool in pan 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack
BEST EVER VANILLA BUTTERCREAM
1 1/2-3 cups powdered sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
2 tea vanilla + 1 vanilla bean, or 2 tea vanilla bean paste
1-2 tablespoons heavy cream


  • Whip butter first, then add rest of ingredients.  I've found that if you slowly add the powdered sugar it takes less to thicken the frosting.  I don't like my frosting that sweet so I usually use a lot less then what most recipes call for, but taste and add to your heart's content.

  • Using real a vanilla bean is what makes this frosting so amazing, it tastes like vanilla ice cream, soooo good! 

1 comment:

  1. I am very excited to try this recipe this weekend! I am also going to attempt my first solo act of Rhubarb pie!

    Let us pray...

    ReplyDelete