Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tiramisu my way!

For my birthday I received, among other very awesome gifts, a very nice bottle of red wine (Black Stallion Cab from Napa Valley) from my sister and the pasta maker attachment for my Kitchen Aid from my boyfriend.  So of course I had to have a gourmet Italian night.  I made fresh fettuccine in a butter & basil sauce, prosciutto wrapped-mozzarella & spinach stuffed chicken, and sauteed brussel sprouts (I don't know how Italian that is but I love them), and for dessert- tiramisu!

Everything turned out amazing, I might have to start selling my pasta at the Local Farmer's Market.  The wine was delicious, I'm currently enjoying it as I write this, thanks again Camille!  But the reason for this post is of course the Tiramisu.  I had to make a few substitutions, because Kodiak is not the mecca of cooking supplies, but I think they may have made it even better!  The pics I took do it no justice, so I will not be posting, but trust me you have to try it.

This is for a small cake, you might want to double it.

Ingredients:
3 egg yolks
1 1/2 tbl sugar
8 ounces mascarpone
3/4 cup strong coffee/espresso chilled (I used Starbucks instant Italian espresso roast)
1 tea vanilla paste
About 2 tbl Kahlua
1-2 packages Pepperidge Farms Milano cookies (I only got one bag and I ran a bit short)
Cocoa powder to dust top

Beat yolks and sugar until thick and creamy, about 5 minutes
Add mascarpone, beat until smooth
Add 3/4 tbls coffee & the vanilla bean paste (I swear by this stuff, it is worth getting, especially for vanilla buttercream, makes such a difference)

In small shallow dish add Kahlua and remaining coffee.
Dip cookies a few seconds on each side then place in dish.  Not too long or they will fall apart!(This recipe is for a small cake, because I was just experimenting I used a small loaf pan, double recipe I would use a 9x13" pan)
Cover with 1/2 mascarpone mixture
Layer another layer of soaked cookies
Top with remaining Mascarpone mixture
Cover and chill for several hours, at least 3 hours.
Dust with cocoa powder and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment