Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

Guys don't generally like sweets or flowers, but you know what they do like...bacon!  So here's a flower I'm pretty sure any man would like to get for Father's Day.



Yup, bacon roses!

They smell great, taste great, and are pretty much the coolest thing ever!

Happy Father's Day to the best Dads I know!  Love you!

Here's how ya do it:
You need:

Package of bacon, I found the longest looking strips I could
Mini muffin pan, if you can find a disposable foil one I HIGHLY recommend getting it (easier for clean up and set up)
Fake roses
Pull off fake roses from stem
Drill hole in bottom of each cup (here's where the easier set up comes in with the disposable ones, you can just poke a hole with anything sharp and don't need to get out the power tools)

Wrap bacon around each cup, starting on the outside/widest part of the cup.  Use the cup as a mold, and just swirl the bacon around till you get to the middle.  Sorry if that's confusing.  When I found this idea online, ya that's right, sadly I did not come up with this awesome idea on my own, but the site that I found instructables.com said to roll the bacon up and place in muffin tin.  These turned out too tight almost like rose buds.  I found that if they where rolled looser and the edges almost folded out, they looked like real roses, so I used the muffin tin cup as a mold. 
I put my muffin tin over a cooling rack and put the cooling rack on a cookie sheet (lined with foil for easy clean up), that way the grease that dripped out the bottom would drain onto the cookie sheet and the bacon roses could drain and not just sit in the oil.  I would occasionally pick up the roses to help the draining process.
 Bake in oven until your house fills with smoke and can take it no longer (about 45 minutes)
I think a deep frier would come in very handy for this project, if you ever feel the need to mass produce.
Once cooled just stick on rose stems that you have taken fake roses off. 

1 comment: